PROLOGUE

So often we hear of people and their epiphanies: monumental thoughts or events that catapulted each of them into major life changes or successes beyond compare. As an un-inspired writer, I have been waiting for one of those to crash into me for quite some time now. Some event that will get me off of my proverbial ass and make me tell my tales, the way my family and friends have been imploring me to do for years. Up until now… buppkes. No job to get fired from, no relationship to end in heart wrenching despair and no quarter-life crisis; just coasting along in the general mediocrity lane. Ironically – it is actually the pocket-sized dramas, the ones that build upon each other like a child’s awkward, unsteady, Lego building and seem comical from a few days distance but insurmountable at the time, that brought me here. A teeny tiny green gossamer drama, that led me down the drain and right into my epiphany…

Down The Drain: The Real Story

At least a week had gone by wherein my bathtub was seemingly having some type of drainage problem. Nothing egregious at first, only about an extra 10 minutes for the water to go down but that 10 min. quickly crescendoed to about 12 hours. I tried everything at my disposal, a full bottle of professional strength Drano Max, internal/external plunging sessions (with rain boots during high tide) and a faux “snake” but to no avail. As much as I hated to acquiesce, the time had come to call in the reinforcements a.k.a. handyman. As I am of the belief that I can do everything on my own or live with it not being done, asking for help is always my last resort. I left word with my doorman and then ran out so I didn’t have to bare witness to my own damsel in distress-iness. When I returned home and asked him if everything went well, my doorman loudly replied, “oh yeah, fine, they found a pair of green underwear in there – they may have to tell the building manager”. I wasn’t quite sure which aspect of this was most disturbing: the fact that the entire lobby now knew I occasionally wash my delicates by hand, that I may get in trouble for this or that I was such a bad “mother” to my garments that I didn’t even know one of my favorite underwear had gone missing. To add insult to injury, when I called the handymen to apologize and find out what became of my underwear he explained to me that he had it in the office because he needed it as evidence. EVIDENCE! My green thong, who did nothing bad to anyone, was being held ransom. People’s reactions varied from amusement to anger, I however, was more awe struck by the idea that green underwear were once again destined to play a significant role in my life. They were there the first time I "cleared the bases" (not the same pair) and now they would be the impetus for my epiphany. They are the raison d’etre behind this blog. I miss them still, but it gets easier everyday…


2.20.2009

Reverse Discrimination Against the Healthy

220…335…400 – their icy glare bores into me like an ex's new girlfriend and I am frozen in my tracks. "Hello ma'am, HELLO, can I get you something?" Two minutes prior, Mike could have gotten me a peppermint chocolate skim (obviously) mocha latte and sent me off into blissful anonymity. But alas, that was before an overzealous NY City Board of Health decided to hijack my treat by forcing restaurants to go public with the calorie count.

I was initially confronted with this disturbing development a couple of months ago, at a nameless baseball stadium whose inhabitants collapse a lot. My sister, my dad and I were all pumped up to get involved in our curly fries, big pretzels and other assorted culinary delights when to our dismay, each item was now accompanied by a strange number. We didn't know what to make of it, considered it might be the actual value of the item (baseball stadium joke) and that's when it dawned on us – it's the damn CALORIE COUNT. Blood drained from our faces as we realized the game we had been enjoying for so many years, that gave us the opportunity to indulge in a guilt-free annual outing, would never be quite the same again.

So now I am here, representing the millions of healthy New Yorkers and tourists (French and Italians couldn't care less though-they eat whatever they want) who no longer have a voice. The hard working, disciplined folks that go to the gym, walk when they can and watch what they eat for the most part, who no longer have a respite from their conscience. We are the careful ones; the ones that check how many calories are in our food and annoyingly discuss the fat content of items at Whole Foods. However, we are also the ones that know every now and then, a good juicy cheeseburger, a dollop of whipped cream or a pile of nachos will not kill us, they will only make us stronger. We are the nameless, faceless sufferers, who must now bear the burden of an untrusting government. A government that believes the citizenry of this great nation needs a teeny tiny government official in their pocket who says, "Stacey, do you really want to eat that? Isn't that an extra 20 minutes on the stepper?" We are now riddled with guilt at the counter and forced to take the high road. You know who we are, you see us leaving, dejected, plain tea or black coffee in our hands.

Please give us back our moments of pleasure. Our little escapes from this otherwise troubled world. Most of us know what we are doing and take responsibility for our actions. We may gain a little weight or have some stomach-aches along the way but we happily accept that. Please NY, give us back our treats, pretty please with whipped cream, caramel and sprinkles on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment